Your Name

Every couple years an anime movie gets so popular in Japan that it gets widely known in the United States as well. Without counting any of the movies from Studio Ghibli I've heard of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Patema Inverted. I took a chance and decided to try out the most recent one: Your Name. My review?

Your Name is... *sigh*... alright. I think the reason why I didn't care for it too much is because I went in expecting a great film. Instead, I left confused and morally drained. I understand some of the reasons they moved the film in the direction they did. Without spoiling too many details, I found the basic premise of two people switching lives very interesting. I wanted to know their reactions and how they would handle the situation. The idea that their memories were fuzzy and the whole experience felt like a dream made the story comical. What I thought would last a whole 'nother hour was shortened to fit a music montage. Then the real interesting plot came out near the final act.

But after watching the whole movie I just felt like the whole experience was a little too corny. There were way too many inconsistencies and forced comedy that should have been addressed at a different time. As good as the pacing was, I thought this movie would have been a lot more interesting as an animated series where you saw the day-to-day events of these two people dealing with issues in each other's lives. I also felt like there were way too many moments of unnecessary drama. The biggest thing that got me was the huge amount of time where they couldn't remember each other. I get it. A writer develops their own time travel rules. Playing with the audience's expectation of a nicely wrapped story is a big no-no in my book. I didn't feel this betrayed since Dory didn't immediately remember who Nemo was when meeting him at the end. I'm more practical. I don't believe in this red thread of fate that ties two people together. So when someone asks you to write your name on their hand - You Write It. Better yet since you know their name, you write it. (Disclaimer: If everything faded, even your memories, then there is a good chance the writing on your hand would fade too. That's why I generally have a hard time with time travel stories.)