Rogue Legacy

Rogue Legacy came out of left field. I had no idea what I was going to encounter. I ran into a post the other day with a guy who recommended this game for its randomly generated maps and characters. What did I think of it?

Rogue Legacy
Positives: You might be doing essentially the same thing hacking and slashing your way through a castle but the fun part is that it is a new experience everytime you pass those gates. Your character will be different. He or (yes even) she will be one of a dozen classes, have traits with about 100 possibilities, use abilities from a pool of about 20, and can be equipped with different weapons and runes to improve performance. The castle changes everytime you enter so the enemies and mini-bosses will be unique to the experience. The goofy traits might seem detrimental to your goal at first but may actually help you in completing challenges and reach areas otherwise impossible.
Negatives: The game is very dependent on your skill. A person might be able to complete the game in a matter of 30 minutes with only going through 5 characters. Another person might go through the castle with 100 characters and still not be able to defeat the final boss. The game makes it possible to upgrade your character to 500 with 75 ranks to health alone (+750 on maybe 100 initial pool). To help build your character to the point of actually beating the game, it will take a lot of runs. I think I was able to level up my guy 5 times with a full castle run up to the final boss. This gets boring.
Overall: I had a great time experiencing each and every trait. I liked seeing new rooms and new abilities pop-up within my grasp. I liked trying different combinations and had fun completing the boss rooms and chest challenges. But after awhile the challenge became too hard and the grind to get better became too tedious. I just didn't have enough motivation to complete the game.

 

5-10-2017