Papers, Please & Everspace

There is a lot to Sunless Sea but I eventually got to the point where booting up the game just doesn't cut it anymore. I decided to move on to trying and couple of other games. I wasn't happy.

Papers, Please is a game where you stamp people's passports before they enter into the country. That's it. I understand that it is a game and there are a lot of things that can happen each day but the job is just that - a job. I did not find enjoyment in checking every nook and cranny of everyone's papers for a mistake when there was a deadline. I don't like to be rushed. And that is the point of the game. They rush you and make you feel the dread of playing the game. If Spec Ops taught me anything: there is no choice, there is no reason to play. I played until I failed on the 4th day and that was it. I had no urge to keep playing.

Everspace is another game that looked interesting. I really loved FTL and people recommended this game for its rogue-like appeal. Sadly, it is definitely not the game for me. I honestly thought that the game would let you have one thruster that makes you accelerate and brake like a standard flight-sim. Nope: You can move in all directions and change directions in a fraction of a second. I read one review that summed it up: You are moving your camera around in space with absolute no physics involved. Things were moving too fast. I had no control over the game. Don't get me started on the difficulty curve. So after being blown away by the graphics for the first 30 minutes to being irritated to the bone the next 30 minutes, I quit. I don't think I will even start the game up again.


6-1-2017