Owlboy

Owlboy came out of left field for me. It was a game that was under development for 9 years and it probably took me that many hours to beat it. It was a lovely game that turned your expectations of your stereotypical adventure game upside down. The animation was fluid and the music was splendid. The lore was deep and would take a normal person some time alone with their thoughts to figure out the actual history of the game.

I honestly didn't have much negative to say about the game. I enjoyed it quite a bit. My only problem was that there wasn't a quick way to get from dungeon to dungeon. If you reached the end of one place without finding the lost coins you were searching for, you had to backtrack through the whole dungeon. Some areas were pretty challenging but not beyond reason. If you really wanted to collect every coin and complete 100% through the ridiculous cannon challenge for the rare cloak that sits on the rack of the buccaneer shop then be my guest. The advantage is minimum and not necessary for the game's completion.

Despite the game being extremely short, I understand why they decided to end the game where they did. Development issues dragged the game to its knees and the crew had to make the decision to put a stop to it. It only makes me want to see a sequel to the game like many other short-lived indie games.

 

6-4-2017