Ori and the Blind Forest

It is currently E3 2017 and... there isn't much to see. You got a hat-throwing plumber in Mario Odyssey, the never-ending Skyrim, and a couple of Metroid games. I guess an HD remake of Shadow of the Colossus is something. But E3 also came out with the announcement of sequels like Ori and the Will of the Wisps. That was my signal to try out the original definitive version of Ori and the Blind Forest. How'd it fair?

The game is relatively short. I must have completed it in about 10 hours. The difficulty was tough but fair. I think certain areas where you had to perform consecutive highly-skilled platforming moves without saving made it much harder to complete. You can count about 100 of my deaths to those sections, maybe another 50 in the ending sequence. The expansion added a couple of new areas that might have been more beneficial to me if I didn't reach the ending credits first. At least the fast travel between safe points made the game a little more enjoyable in the long run. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the reasons behind some of the plot points. I did experience a little bit of stuttering when transitioning between sections, not too much to stop playing.

I must admit I really enjoyed the game. The evolution of skills and puzzles made me want to further my progress into the story. My nephews watched me play for about 30 minutes and already were commenting on my lack of combat skills. I knew the game might get difficult but I didn't know it was going to be that challenging. Overall: I highly recommend it.

 

5-17-2017