Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries

With the new trailer of Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries out for all to see, it is time to take a look at the previous installment that came out in... 2002?!?! Ok so the game is a bit dated. I wonder how it stood against the test of time.

The game that many remember is Mechwarrior 2 that came out in 1995. It alongside its many sequels properly introduced the Battletech series to the video game world. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was also a nice surprise to see in 1996. On top of worrying about your mech in battle, you also must worry about paying for equipment, repairs, and other miscellaneous funds. Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries also does this with the additions of paying for pilots and storage.

I remember very little of Mechwarrior 4. Replaying it made me remember why. The single player experience was rather bland and riddled with inconsistencies. The AI on both sides was dumb to a ridiculous degree. It never ceased to amaze me when I saw enemy and friendly mechs alike run into each other and stop. On top of that, friendly mechs would stop in front of your line of fire. Pilots hesitated in engaging the enemy when commanded to move to a navigation point, defend an ally, or even follow formation. Instead, the only times I saw them aggressively destroy a target was if I commanded them to attack a certain target. I recall seeing an Uller come over and attack me and after a minute I decided to tell my lances to attack it. Within seconds it was destroyed with a barrage of LRMs. Money never really seemed to be a problem and increasing the difficulty would only add more enemies to the fight.

The additions Mektek patched into the game sort of helped with mixing in some much-needed variety. It's just I wish Mechwarrior 4 felt more like Giant Robots slowly shredding apart each other with weapons instead of finding the fastest way to destroy Futuristic Armor that moves on a dime. Take a look into Mechwarrior: Living Legends or MechAssault sometime if you are into that.

On the plus side, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries was a neat experience... yeah I got nothing. I hate to say this but I prefer Mechwarrior Online over Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries.

 

12-17-2016