Lost in Space Reboot First Season

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this series or not. It certainly looked neat. But eventually I was reduced to skimming through the episodes just to see what happens in the end.

Lost in Space. The first episode seemed promising. I liked how they tried to implement simple scientific problem-solving into this little escapade. By the second and third episode, I started to feel the hairs on my neck curl. The disasters seemed real and the solutions seemed plausible. But by the fourth episode, my belief in this form of reality came to an end.

I'm not the kind of person who likes characters who lie and cheat. I grew up with a few "pathological liars" as my mother would put it. And my lack of picking up on sarcasm doesn't help either. So I ultimately despised Doctor Smith. I gave her some slack because I thought her survival instincts played a small part to her deceit to others. I thought they would have given her a sort of redemption arc where she would help the greater good. That never happened. The writers must have made it so that there was nothing she would do that wouldn't help benefit herself in the long run. Ironically, she wasn't the tipping point of my anger.

You would think that the natural disasters would be the only problem these people had to do with. Nope. Like many television series beforehand - Battlestar Galactica, Lost, The 100, The Walking Dead - People are their own worst enemies. I'm not saying this makes a bad series. I just don't like it when they write out these characters who endanger themselves and others from their own stupidity. The unnaturalness of the environment doesn't help. If you ever watched the movie Gravity, then you would understand where I'm coming from.

So in review: Episodes 1-3 Only the Robinsons: Good. Episodes 4-10 Community (counting Doctor Smith): Bad.

 

 5-9-2018