Kentucky Route Zero

Kentucky Down... Kentucky Highway... what was the name of the game again? Kentucky Route Zero was another game that flew under the radar. Extra Creditz had a recommendation for the game back in July 25, 2014. Really, the game has been in production since the first Act was released back in January 7, 2013. It is supposed to be a 5 Act game. Act IV just came out July 19th, 2016. Is the game any good?

I remember wanting to try out the game a few times since it came out. I once again remembered the game when Oxenfree came out in January 2016. The issue is I recall reading about how Act I could be completed in 2 hours. That's not a lot of content. Even at 50% off, the game is still marked $12 (down from $25). I remember hearing the same complaints of Firewatch 3-hour run in February 2016 and that game was marked at $20.

Kentucky Route Zero has very little going for it. I define it as "Artsy" for the surreal world and how everything sort of represents something else depending on your perspective. I stopped playing shortly after attempting Act II. The world's graphics are very limited, there are very little dialogue choices, your actions don't matter as you follow a linear path, and you move at a snail's pace to... I guess take everything in. The game makes it very clear with the first person you talk to about your choice in trying to find your destination or taking your time to enjoy your surroundings. This ultimately confused me as they introduce your character with a job to do and I would never disrespect my obligations. Ironically regardless of my choice, I somehow had to take alternate pathways when my destination... didn't exist. Before starting the game know this: It isn't real. You will see and hear things that are impossible. You will experience things that don't exist. Even the developers stated that this "play" is a tragedy. I hate tragedies.

Review: Bored to death. I get the symbolism but I couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't worth playing.

 

9-26-2016