Ikenfell

Game Title: Ikenfell
Released: October 8, 2020
Game Length: 18 Hours
Grade: B-

Expectations: This weird title caught my eye when it popped into my newsfeed one day. An 8-bit turn-based tactical RPG that requires proper reaction from the user? I have no idea why I got a flashback to Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen. The game seemed interesting enough and cheap at a $20 price tag. I figured I would give it a shot.

Reality: You start off as a lonely girl searching out for her sister in some sort of magic school. Through the help of memory crystals and newfound friends, you'll slowly learn what happened as you explore sections of the school and develop a register of six playable characters. The game does a wonderful job slowly introducing each character and their respective domains. Depending on the circumstances of the story, these characters might be forced into your party, react on their own until they earn your respect, or refuse to participate until a certain event happens later on. Although you can only have three characters in your party at a time, I found that each character has something interesting to bring to the table.

Vitals: Their stats are highly dependent on their level and gear. I made the mistake of skipping out on some monsters during one chapter and had to go back since the characters all gain around five points in power each time they level. That's why it took me 20 hours to beat the game, instead of graded 18 hours. I would have also liked if the enemy's vitals were shown all the time and not through a separate action button. The game isn't inherently difficult as there are plenty of cats to snuggle with to save your game. The game also allows you to save your game after being introduced to each boss... most of the time at least.

Combat: I very much like the way they handled the reactionary key presses into the combat system. The amount of damage dealt and received from anyone on the field highly depends on when you press that button. This can cause some wildly different dynamics when something causes 3 damage or 12 damage. The amount of turns a buff or debuff lasts also depends on your timing. A great response will cause it to last 3 turns while missing it entirely with an "oops" response can cause the spell to fail entirely. You do not need to maintain any sort of Mana System or worry about physical or magical types. The most you have to be concerned with is whether a flying creature can bypass your trap or if a giant will receive more damage from a levitation spell. A new ability will be bestowed every few levels until Level 18. I managed to get my team up to Level 26 by the end of the game. And though I do appreciate Maritte, Petronella, and Rook for their own style of gameplay, I found Pertisia, Ima, and Gilda to be my main trio by the end of the game. There was one minor problem: Gilda crashed my game. I'm not sure what caused it, but I narrowed it down to either her teleport skill or her focus ability. Perhaps the game got confused when I was multiplying her speed dozens of points.

Gear: When it comes to gear, it all depended on how you wanted to cater your characters. All the items are fair in their point distribution. A few points in power in exchange for speed or defense could help benefit your battle tactics. There are some special trinkets with special activation conditions you could use as well in exchange for a standard accessory. Items like Twinkle Charm that increases speed and power at the beginning of a round or Phoenix Charm that resurrects you with full health in battle completely changed the game about half-way through. And I still don't know what was in that stupid sparkly box! Probably a way to fast travel between all those cat doors. Otherwise, don't expect anything special here. There are no combinations with their abilities or paired equipment sets. Your characters don't physically change their wardrobe when putting on something fancy. You can totally put a dress on Rook. Weapons only give you more power and are exclusive to each character.

Representation: I think the biggest problem I have with the game is how far they tilt into "progressive" lifestyles. Inside your group of six characters, you have three characters that are lesbian. Outside your group, you have a gay couple and a lesbian couple. They are completely out in the open about this too. There was perhaps only one case that I saw where two characters flirted with the opposite gender. I didn't see a single male instructor. In fact, I really didn't see many side-characters at all. There was Stoc the bartender, Maxym the shark fanatic, and Sigbert the Groundkeeper. Even Pokemon knew how to properly add more background NPCs. The music was pretty good, up until I heard the horrendous rap tracks. Gilda's Track is alright, but Ima's Track and Rook's Track were terrible. At least all the other songs were instrumental. I get this was a Kickstarter Project with a little over $60,000 and delayed for over a year, but I was hoping for more than just a graphics update. There is also a side-story about how evil comes within, but the unusual ending made me less than thrilled about finding out more about it.

Opinion: I'm still not sure who Chevy Ray Johnston is (I hope it isn't this guy) but he definitely did a great job pulling together a game like he did. I had very little trouble following all its intricacies and enjoyed the world he built within. I only wished that he would have modified the characters differently than what he did for the story and made a more complex RPG experience. In the end, I'd give this game a pass. There are just way too many other games out there that do a better job in every aspect.

 

12-3-2020