Final Fantasy 5

Ok. I might be cheating a little bit here. I have fond memories as a kid playing Final Fantasy 4 and Final Fantasy 6 on the SNES. I remember replaying them when I was in college through an emulator. The one thing I have yet to do is play the others. I have attempted the FF7 Demo but the graphics made me cringe. It reminded me why I didn't bother going back and replaying my "family's RV trip across the United States savior" Chrono Cross. Many people say Final Fantasy 8 is a disaster and I know of one guy personally who says Final Fantasy 9 is his favorite game of all time.

But what about Final Fantasy 5? Well... let's just say I made an attempt. The fifth edition of the saga played around with the class trees. You take "jobs" and level them up. Then later in the game you can try different jobs to make unique hybrid systems. The story was interesting enough. They developed some sort of dual-world story between humans and monsters. But I didn't find the world... or maybe it was the characters... that interesting.

Let's just say there were problems. For one, I couldn't stand the fact that there weren't any save slots. This made things rather difficult when you climbed a tower to fight a boss and you died because you didn't have the right classes. Not knowing how the boss ticked and how to counter them only compiled the issue. True, you could use Wikipedia and the Emulator's rewind feature. Yet, this sort of defeats the whole purpose of playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

I got as far as the world combining into one before calling it quits. I unlocked all the classes and I didn't feel like playing anymore. Sure my game time says I played 5 hours. Honestly, it felt more like 20 real hours. I can't say for sure. I chalk this game up as neither good or bad but merely interesting.

7-7-2017