Environmental Station Alpha

Environmental Station Alpha isn't exactly a game I had in mind when previewing Metroidvania games. The term, as a recap, is the exploration genre that was initially created by Metroid + Castlevania. ESA doesn't look like a good game. It's 8-bit style might turn off a lot of people. Your robot is tiny and the game sells for $8. And that's alright because I don't think this game is worth playing unless you were actively searching for it.

Environmental Station Alpha is a brilliant exploration game. The problem is everytime you find something nice about the game, you will find something as equally frustrating. The map actively displays items and allows the user to zoom in but it does not include all the secrets. There is a teleport system but there is only one room, which you will become acquainted with, that has a teleport and a save spot. There are various secret areas where you may find easily, only to be stopped after multiple checkpoints. I thought I was being clever maneuvering through multiple rooms with my hookshot for 10 minutes when I was stopped with a door that needed the yellow key. The station changes as you progress but making one false move will have you retracing your steps over-and-over. The bosses are super challenging but interesting enough to keep you playing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the game's foundation is flawed for the casual player. There are so many times I wanted to just quit the game because of a hard boss or not being able to get to a secret area. After 8 hours at 88% I simply gave up. I no longer had a desire to finish the game. You can find all the secret areas and research the endings and probably be equally satisfied knowing you did all you could but still get one of... I guess six different bad resolutions. It was hard enough trying to figure out if passing a challenge room would reward you with something worthwhile. But I guess some people would find an in-game music player, a bike, or a screenshot worth their time and effort.

Summary: Environmental Station Alpha setting is initially enthralling but gradually fades overtime. Exploring the station is fun up until you are searching for hidden items to the bitter end. I cannot say for sure whether I recommend this game or not. It is your decision.

 

11-23-2018