Dungeons of Dredmor

This week is my week off from work. You know what that means? Music. Movies. Games... well, if I can find any. I did play quite a bit in the previous weeks. Let's see what I can't scrounge up.

Dungeons of Dredmor
The game is simplistic in design. For a couple dollars, you can get this dungeon crawler filled with tons of abilities. That's half the fun, right? Well, not in this game. Pretty much everything in this game is revolved around playing with all the abilities on the first few levels. Then you die and try something else. The problem is you aren't exactly supposed to beat the game. If you somehow live long enough past the first 3 levels, the game turns into a slog of a nightmare.

The game gets repetitive and monotonous. Although you have a small pocket dimension (like in Chrono Trigger) to move around and lay down goods, your inventory gets pretty tight when trying to craft. If you want to craft anything meanwhile, you have to not only choose a crafting skill but make sure to level it up. Then you have to carefully filter through all your goods, picking up and dropping them until you get what you need. The number of monsters and skills tend to blur when you go through hundreds of them at a time.

There are tons of small issues too. I encountered a couple of glitches: monsters who died still stand up as if they are still alive, item disappears if I had a full inventory when entering a store, and clicking on the wrong square will cause me to lose a turn even if nothing is there. Starting the game is horrible if you don't start with at least one weapon skill. Getting anywhere in a monster zoo is dreadful without some AoE items or abilities. Most of my "random" skills ended up costing me quite a few runs.

I got up to Level 5 and called it quits. I couldn't stand it anymore. It wasn't even worth playing with the rogue-like option (one life) rule. It's too bad and I spent a good 15 hours in this game too.

 

6-2-2017