Bullets Per Minute

Game Title: Bullets Per Minute
Released: September 15, 2020
Game Length: 2 Hours
Grade: C-

Expectations: Alright. Here's a game that I already have a bad feeling going in. I'm not sure what it is about the style of the game, but it reminds me a lot of Doom and Overwatch. Now I'm not generally a fast person, but Borderlands was actually a nice game with its health recovery system and variety of guns. What does this game have? For starters, there is a lot of red and small rooms filled with monsters. Alright, let's give it a shot (literally).

Reality: There is a good chance it's just me, but everything about this game is wrong. I probably broke a record somewhere with my first death being under 30 seconds. Running into a monster without having a clue what button reloads your gun or a way to melee your enemies made it very difficult since there is no tutorial. The bright red colors made it very difficult to see anything and the movement sensitivity was set way too high. That's when I boorishly spent the next 15 minutes looking at the settings. You can modify your controller buttons between six different setups, but you can't just choose what button does what. You can turn the red saturation down to 0% if you want, but your choices boil down to lowering the brightness of the red in the room or black and white. There is an aim assist that pulls your gun directly to the enemy when its about an inch away when fired, but I didn't see an auto-aim feature anywhere.

Rhythm: My biggest problem is I am dead-certain my game was not running in sync with the beats. This caused the unusual firing mechanics to be downright awful. You have to press the reload button twice to put 8 more bullets into your pistol. You are only allowed to fire on or off the beat. Even if your finger can press the button four times per beat, a full second error will appear and break your rhythm. You only have a choice between Easy or Hard and I still ended up dying before passing the first level every time. For a game with tiny rooms, simple graphics, and limited gameplay, I did not expect the gameplay to run so poorly. So after playing around with the game for an hour, I just decided to give up. I will not deny that there are a lot of people out there that might enjoy this game, but there is barely anything here I found that constitutes as fun.

 

12-24-2020